A while ago I was having some trouble trying to get an internship and I was worried that there was something I was doing wrong. I wasn't sure what to do, so I decided to set up a meeting with Maryjo Zunk. Before the meeting even took place, she gave me very valuable feedback as to where to look for internships and tips to prepare my resume. Right off the bat, it's easy to tell that Maryjo has a plethora of helpful resources. Before I talk about the meeting, I encourage everyone to set up a meeting with Maryjo if you haven't already.
When I attended the meeting with Maryjo, I handed her my resume and she looked over it and started making some helpful suggestions. She asks many questions and is very thorough so that she can get the best idea of how to help you and which direction to point you in. Maryjo places great emphasis on being prepared for interviews and making sure that you know all the answers to the questions you will probably be asked. She says that it's not about who you know anymore, it's about what you know.
The emphasis on skill building stands out and she wants to make sure that you're highlighting (not literally) all of your key attributes on your resume. For example, my concentration is Public Leadership and Management so I would point out that I've taken many courses in relation to my concentration. This helps to separate me a little bit from people that may have the same major as myself, but have a different concentration and set of skills. Maryjo also showed me all of the helpful resources that can be accessed through LinkedIn and all the people that I can connect with because I'm part of the School of Public Affairs. Overall, I think the meeting was extremely helpful because all of the material that Maryjo shared with me is stuff I probably wouldn't have realized to look for on my own.
Maryjo is awesome! I meet with her at least once a month and she has so many opportunities to share. We are really lucky to have her at our college.
ReplyDelete