Monday, December 1, 2014

Politics on Social Media (Late, I know. Sorry.)

     I'm sure that most of you either watched or read about the verdict regarding the Ferguson case last week.  It was a highly anticipated decision and garnered the attention of many.  Obviously after the decision, some people were satisfied and others were visibly upset.  One of the main issues that bothered me about that day is how out of control people can be online over popular issues.  The topic of Ferguson has been extremely newsworthy the last half of this year and as soon as the decision was made on Monday, it seemed like all chaos broke loose online.
     I feel that everyone has the right to their own opinion on the matter, but it's not in good taste when everyone starts attacking each other.  It's especially not a great thing when the media fuels the fire and different narratives are forced on the audience.  It's great that millions of people are more connected than ever before since the advent of social media, but it's like a blessing and a curse.  It seems that some people like to politically isolate themselves to only read opinions that resonate with theirs or block out anything that may upset them.  I believe that this causes problems because when people start to do this it causes them to not be open to multiple view points and everyone just starts lashing out at each other instead of being civil.     

1 comment:

  1. I agree with 100%. Social media can isolate us and only connect us with others who think like us. I don't appreciate the rants on social media as well.

    ReplyDelete