I can't tell you how excited I am to see ASU take on Utah this Saturday. It'll be a tough match up as Utah is ranked 18th in the nation. If you thought Washington's defensive line was tough, Utah is right up there and ranks 1st in the PAC-12 in sacks. It may end up being a close game, but ASU is ranked higher (15) and this will be a home game. The outcome of this game will definitely be reliant on Taylor Kelly becoming more comfortable and consistent with the offense. Taylor Kelly looked so uncomfortable out there, you would have thought that was his first start...ever. I have nothing against him because I was heartbroken when he got hurt early on in the season, but Bercovici has the hot hand as of late and many people wanted to see him be put into the game. ASU prevailed and ended up winning anyways, but I don't think it was convincing enough as a win which is why they dropped to #15.
With that being said, ASU can put themselves on the road to a prime playoff position if they can beat Utah this weekend. A win against Utah would move them forward at least one spot (14), if not two (13). The real test will come against Notre Dame on November 8th. They're currently ranked 6th in the nation and will probably hold that ranking as they face Navy this Saturday. ASU faced Notre Dame in a close battle last year at a "neutral" site and lost. This time, the game will take place at Sun Devil stadium. The home field advantage will be helpful because the Sun Devil defense will be dealing with Heisman Candidate Everett Golson.
If ASU can manage to beat Notre Dame, they will most likely be ranked within the top 10. The University of Arizona will be the only ranked team left on the schedule granted that they don't lose any more games. It feels weird to root for them, but if they hold their ranking or improve, it'll be more for the Sun Devils to potentially gain when they face off November 28th. At this point, ASU could make it to the top 4 and get a legitimate shot at competing for a national championship. I know it seems like a long shot to run the table against some of these teams, but it is absolutely possible.
I was so hopeful for ASU. I went to the U of A game with my family and we are a family divided. Half of the family likes ASU and the other half likes U of A...yuck! It was a great season and we did good.
ReplyDelete