Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Leadership

     To be honest, leadership doesn't really play a role in my internship.  From my position, I'm mostly taking care of tasks that my supervisor asks me to do and other miscellaneous things.  I've had to reach out to people and have them come out and speak at our meetings.  It doesn't feel like leadership, but I had to take the initiative to try and get certain people to speak at our meetings.  I'm not able to demonstrate any leadership skills from where I stand because I don't work with anyone else or have followers to influence. Although I'm not really utilizing my leadership skills in the office, I'm still constantly learning how to be a good leader from my current coursework and previous texts.
     However, I will say that preparing the bi-weekly meetings may somewhat utilize my leadership skills, but it's hard to explain.  I schedule the speakers for the meetings, I make sure I know what they're going to be speaking about so that members of the Chamber of Commerce can be informed, and I introduce the speakers at the meetings.  My supervisor is the CEO of the Chamber of Commerce so she manages every department in the office.  She's the face of the Chamber and works hard to expand the client base and get businesses to register at the Chamber.  There are also department heads in the various offices that have a specific responsibility.  There's a head of accounting, marketing, and sales. 

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are taking a leadership role in your responsbilites and tasks given by your supervisor. Good job, I hope you are having fun in your internship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have the same feeling with you that in our internship we don't need to use leadership ourselves. It seems like you have a good supervisor, hope you can learn a lot from her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way, that my internship doesn't have a role of leadership in it readily available. Still, its a good learning experience.

    ReplyDelete