I usually don't post anything too personal here, but I'm curious to get some feedback this time around. As the weeks pass, graduation becomes closer and closer. At school, work, and everywhere else I commonly am asked, "What are you going to do after you graduate?" I never really know what to say or how I should answer the question because I honestly don't know. I'm not a very good liar, so when people ask I usually have an initial hesitation before I answer. It's easier to come up with answers at work because I could say something very general or vague and people would figure I'm talking about something legitimate. Family members are always harder to get around because they always like to get the scoop so it's a little harder to wiggle around those answers.
I originally was studying for business administration at the community
college level and I had to switch to something else when I transferred
so I landed on Public Service and Public Policy. I have nothing against my major, but I'm trying to figure out the kind of career field I would love to work in. I thought I would have it all sorted out by now, but I feel as undecided as I was a year ago. It just feels difficult because I've been working so long to get a degree, I don't want to pick something I don't like and end up being stuck. I want to be able to actually love what I do and enjoy the work week rather than absolutely dread it.
I'll be leaving my current job soon and start the job hunt process. I'll have some time to figure out what people with my degree can do or have done so that I can get a better idea of where to go first. I'll definitely have to see what's generally out there or inquire to friends and family members to see if there are any good positions they can get me into. Have any of you ever had or are currently going through this experience? What do you think?
I am going through the same thing with figuring out what I am going to do after I graduate! It is scary and exciting at the same time. Glad to see you are enjoying yourself by see football games at ASU. There is nothing like going to a live football game! Good luck at finding your perfect job!
ReplyDeleteI'm really not scared to graduate, but I am concerned about not being chosen for all the opportunities out there. I am considering applying for an AmeriCorps program or a fellowship in NYC or California. I google "fellowships in public service" a lot and learn about a lot of post graduate opportunities. You should do that sometime. Honestly, don't feel like your major defines your career path because so many people have titles they never thought they would hold. I have also met so many people who work in the private and public sector. I wish you the best and be excited because you are graduating!
ReplyDelete