The organization that I'm interning with is the Chandler Chamber of Commerce. From what I've gathered so far, the Chamber of Commerce advocates for local businesses and supports related public policy. Local businesses are not automatically members of the Chamber, but they can register. The Chamber is always looking for ways that day-to-day operations can improve for local businesses and what they can do to help. For example, the Chamber is currently working on the 2015 version of their document How We Stand. Basically, this document covers different areas such as Energy & Efficiency, Education, Environment, Transportation and many others. Within these different areas, the Chamber will talk about the legislation, initiatives, development and other things that they support to improve business in Chandler. This is just one thing that they're working on and as I progress in my internship I will gain a more detailed understanding as to what they do.
Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'll discuss what I do there as an intern. Technically speaking, I am a Public Policy intern. There are other interns in the office, but they fall under different areas and there are currently only two Public Policy interns. What I'll be doing is helping to set up future Public Policy meetings by contacting various individuals from different organizations and trying to get them to talk about whatever topic is relevant for the next Public Policy meeting. For example, the next meeting will be about transportation so we'll be having three people that work in the field come and talk on the subject. One of my jobs is to reach out to these people and ask them if they can speak on whichever date we're working on next. Once I've confirmed speakers for the next meeting, I'll get a bio and picture so that I can put together a PowerPoint to introduce them during the meeting. Another thing I'll be doing is editing the 2015 How We Stand document. Myself and others review the document to make sure it flows smoothly and if we receive input from other organizations I have to make sure I edit that all in as well.
Hi, Ben
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the field of public service & public policy, this is very interesting major as I can say. First of all, it was exciting thing to read through your internship introduction in the Chandler Chamber of Commerce. I think that is wonderful place to intern in, because such organization has broad vision on many things from economy to various public policies. I like the way how you phrase your typical day at internship situation as "it's a little intimidating" I do understand it because you are still a new learner or student at the job. That was the same thing which had happened to me on the first day at my internship interview, I was really intimidated by questioning about qualifications for doing the job they wanted me to do. I did not have the necessary answers needed. It looks like you are going to have great experiences from that work quality and environments and will benefit your future a lot. Thanks for sharing with and keep it up.
Ben,
ReplyDeleteSounds like your internship is going good. It sounds very interesting to me and I'll be looking forward to hearing more about it. While the typical day at the office may be intimidating, it sounds like you have it under control. Keep up the good work.
Hi Ben,
ReplyDeleteI did not know exactly what the Chamber of Commerce did until you explained it in detail. You are going to learn a lot about public policy . What kind of career are you looking for after you graduate? You are going to do great!! I look forward to reading your next blog.
To be honest, I'm not quite sure yet. I'm optimistic, but I probably will have a better idea in November when I start applying for jobs.
Delete