The first day of my internship started last Thursday. Coincidentally, last Thursday was the 2014 Education Forum that the Chamber of Commerce was hosting. The three university presidents (ASU, NAU, U of A) were there and talked about the future of education. It was definitely an interesting first day because I showed to up an event that was being attended by at least 200 people. Basically, I helped make sure that guests knew where to pick up their name tags and once the event started I was able to sit in. It was a great experience though because I got to meet President Michael Crow and have my picture taken with him.
Once the event was over, I headed to the office to start my training. I'm supposed to be taking over the spot of another Public Policy intern named Britta. She was interning over the summer, but is leaving within a week to head back to school in Chicago. My goal is to pretty much pick her brain and learn everything I need to know before she's gone, otherwise I won't have anyone to help me. My boss (feels weird saying that as an intern) doesn't really micromanage, so I have to make sure I know what I'm doing because I won't have someone watching over me. That's why I really value any of the time I get to work with Britta because I can ask all the questions I need answers to. It's a little intimidating because she does the day-to-day tasks with ease, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm hoping by the time she's gone, I'll have most of it down by then.
Wow that really sounds like an exciting first day! I've met President Crowe once and he was very nice. I'm sure after a few days of working the in office you'll get the hang of everything.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great way to start an internship, I have never met president Crow hopfully someday I will get an oppertunity to do so as well. As for the weeks ahead hopfully you can learn alot from Britta before she leaves. However I feel it will be a lot of learning on the job, as well as having a lot of fun in the process.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck!